the Importance of a “Start Here” Page – Marketing Monday – give your readers a clear direction of where to go when they land on your blog.
A “Start Here” page is an “About Me” page on steroids.
A “Start Here” Page Tells Readers:
1. introduces the man or woman behind the blog
2. States why they started their blog and what they’re passionate about
3. Shares what has been their best content – either what they consider their best content or what is their best content according to analytics/stats
4. How to connect with them via social media and email
The goal of a “Start Here” page is to convert new visitors into loyal readers. Its an opportunity for you to guide new visitors along the journey of your blog.
Tips on Creating a “Start Here” Page:
1. Write this page assuming that they do not know who you are and have never visiting your blog before
2. Include a prompt with a strong CTA to join your email list or follow your blog via bloglovin.
Example Text: If it’s your first time here, I know all of the information can be overwhelming, so I’ve created this page, with some of my very best resources, to get you started.
Other names for a “Start Here” page are “Getting Started”, “Begin Your Journey”, and many more. Get creative when naming this page, but be sure to convey that they should start by navigating to this page.
Where should you advertise your “Start Here” page? The ideal placement would be in your top navigation bar preferably all the way to the left. New visitors will naturally look to the nav bar when they start browsing your blog. A “Start Here” button lets new visitors know that they should start there. Putting in all the way to the left ensures that it is one of the first buttons of the nav bar that they read. If you have a static landing page as your homepage (not a page with all your blog posts) another option would be to include it on a widget on your homepage. This would be placed slightly lower on your page underneath the main promo banner.
A “Start Here” page is an excellent way to turn new visitor into loyal readers and subscribers, increase your social following, and bring in sales via affiliates.
Below are some of my favorite “Start Here” pages that have converted me into a loyal reader.