Huffington posts says that, “Fifty-percent of adults now identify as binge-viewers, meaning they’re watching multiple episodes of a TV show back-to-back, according to a new study of 1,000 adults with pay TV subscriptions. The percentage was even higher for those under 35.” Are you a binge watcher?
When I started dating my boyfriend, I was in awe that he did not have cable. I never missed it in all the times that we spent at his place but I was convinced that when we moved in together, we would be getting cable. Fast forward three years and I am SO glad we do not waste money on cable. We utilize Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Video for most of our streaming needs.
Over the course of the last three years, I have partaken in quite a few TV show binges. For me and my boyfriend, it all started with a show called Weeds. Neither of us had watched it before but had heard tons of good praise. We started with one episode and quickly escalated to us finishing season one. We quickly jumped into season two and before we knew we were watching the series finale. Staying up late together watching shows had quickly become one of our favorite things to do together.
Here are my Top 10 Favorite Shows to Binge Watch if you’re stuck inside this cold winter. Ranked in order of most binge-worthy.
- Parenthood (Netflix) – Let me start by saying this is one of my two favorite shows of all time. Parenthood follows the lives of everyday people with everyday problems. I laughed, I cried, and I smiled throughout this series as it pulls on all your emotions- in a good way. I’m not going to say anything else, you have to watch this series.
- Army Wives (Netflix) – I had heard great things about this series but assumed I wouldn’t be able to relate since the show follows the lives of a group of army wives living in the south but boy was I wrong! I was hooked after one of the wives delivered her twins on a pool table at the local dive bar instead of heading to the hospital on base to keep the rumor bay at rest.
- Jessica Jones (Netflix) – I started watching this one after a rave review from my cousin and her husband. This Netflix TV show is from the marvelous Marvel brand. I was drawn right in and could not stop watching. I found myself staying up much too late to find out what happens next. This has the dynamic Marvel storyline with a little romance mixed in. I heard there is a Jessica Jones 2 coming out and I cannot wait!
- Silicone Valley (HBO) – Silicone Valley focuses on six young men who founded a startup company in Silicon Valley. It gives you a glimpse at life in a Silicon Valley incubator.
- Orange is the New Black (Netflix) – What kind of TV show binge list would this be if I didn’t at least mention, Orange is the New Black? OITNB revolves around the drama inside the walls of the Litchfield Penitentiary, a women’s prison. If you haven’t already jumped on the Orange is the New Black bandwagon, you should!
- the Last Ship (TNT) – The Last Ship follows a navy ship out at sea when a global pandemic wipes out a majority of Earth’s population, leaving its crew with one simple mission – to find a cure. There are currently two seasons that will have you on the edge of your seat.
- Young and Hungry (Netflix) – This ABC Family series follows the lives of a young personal chef, housekeeper, and assistant of a very wealthy guy. The series starts with the personal chef sleeping with her new boss. Young and Hungry will make your abs hurt from laughing so hard.
- Chasing Life (Netflix) – A tearjerker, but worth it! A Boston journalist is diagnosed with leukemia and the series follows her life post-diagnosis.
- Hart of Dixie (Netflix) – A NYC gal takes a job as a family doctor in a small town in Alabama. You can expect multiple love interests, southern charm, and plenty of attitude.
- House of Cards (Netflix) – House of Cards is a political drama with twists and turns that you will not expect.
Honorable Mentions – I watched these as they were live
1. Gilmore Girls (the CW) – Set in quaint Stars Hollow, CT, Gilmore Girls follows the life of a single mother and her only daughter. I cannot wait for the Netflix mini-series.
2. One Tree Hill (the CW) – Were you a One Tree Hill fan or The OC? Back in the day, you couldn’t be both.
3. Gossip Girl (the CW) – Based on the book series of the same name written by Cecily von Ziegesar, Gossip Girls follows the lives of privileged high school students living on the Upper East Side in NYC. I read the books and the sub-series, the IT Girl, and was hooked from the very beginning. Just remember, this is no typical high school drama.
4. Desperate Housewives (ABC) – Set on Wisteria Lane, the show follows the lives of those living on the perfect street in the perfect suburban neighborhood after a beloved neighbor commits suicide. Family life, domestic struggles, divorce, crime, and mystery show that what happens behind the doors of those on Wisteria Lane is far from perfect.
5. Suits (USA Network) – Take your typical law series, throw in some humor, romance, and sass, and you’ve got a recipe for success. Suits follows a young man who has lied his way into a prestige law firm. Not only did her not pass the BAR, he didn’t even attend Law School.
6. Revenge (ABC) – This drama deserves so much credit for its cliffhangers. Every episode ends in a cliffhanger making you count the days until the next episode airs ( +1 for a binge watch, no waiting all week for a new episode to air – BONUS!). Revenge is the story of one girl’s revenge on the elite socialites that helped frame her father, landing him in prison for life. Trust me, this one will have you hooked until the very end.
7. Marvel’s Agents of Shield & Agents of Carter (ABC) – I caught onto the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I’m hooked for life. The fact that all the movies and shows intertwine and happen in chronological order baffles my mind. Marvel’s Agents of Shield picks up right after the Avengers and then plays of all the other Marvel movies (Thor, Captain America, & the Avengers). If you are a Marvel fan, watch this. If you are not a Marvel fan, what are you waiting for?
Next Up on My TV Show Binge Watch List:
1. the Man in the High Castle (Amazon Video)
2. Daredevil (Netflix)
3. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
What are your favorite shows to binge watch?